Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Wow Factor - Hayden-Harnett


When I look at a new line, either for editorial review or with my buyer’s eye, I want to get the “wow” factor. In many ways, bags are like men, if they don't impress me in the first 10 minutes, I'm walking away. Now, I know that's a harsh way to evaluate a designer that probably spent numerous hours agonizing over the placement of a zipper or stud – but, what can I do.

So what makes me go "wow?"
Sometimes it’s the use of bold color. I love when designers test out shades that aren't the it color of the season.
Sometimes, it's the use of embellishments. Perhaps the designer is using pink-gold hardware (such as
Goldenbleu) versus yellow gold or silver. Perhaps it's the fact that they use new materials (like Ecoist).

My latest "wow" comes thanks to
Hayden-Harnett - a Brooklyn-based handbag line that has bold colors, innovative handles and silhouettes, and an appealing price-point (as compared to other new brands).

Always bag-a-licious,
Pamela Pekerman

No comments: